Re: Status?

Michael ROGERS wrote:

> >Does anyone want to work on developing a second copy of the draft, or does
> >common consensus indicate that I should work on that? Please let me know
> >what I can do to help in this effort.
>
> If nobody else has written a second draft, I'll put forward my ideas. I think

If nobody is working on a new draft, I'll try to improve the first draft
with comments from the list (and a few ideas of my own).

> the second draft should incorporate the suggestion (I can't remember who made
> it, sorry) of grouping the hints into structures (like the ICCCM and MWM

Any suggestions. Unlike icccm way, this grouping mechanism should be
cleanly extensible (by anyone).

> hints). There should also be some guidelines on the use of messages which
> control the window manager (ie messages which are used by the pager), to
> make it clear that applications should treat them as user hints rather than
> programmer hints. The spec should also include a policy on duplication of
> features between the desktop environment and the window manager (things like
> launchers, taskbars, session managers and docks). I think one of the faults
> of the existing spec is that it is little more than a list of hints. We need
> to look at the role of the window manager under a desktop environment as well
> as working out the technical details of interaction.

IMO, the WM should manage windows and nothing else unless the user
specifically wants something else.

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.