Re: 1.9d

Tim Janik wrote:
> (marco, you replied from private email, i think it would have been
>  better to at least fully quote it...)

I apologize, I thought I just pressed the wrong key when replying
and added the cc.

> On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Marko Macek wrote:
>
> > Tim Janik wrote:
> > > i didn't change anything here, this is a 1:1 *quote* from the current spec ;)
> >
> > You're right. I made a mental mistake :)
> >
> > I suggest not using the term "sticky" at all. It is many things to many
> > people. It confuses people like me (I still get confused by
> > desktop/page/desk fvwm terminology too).
> >
> > How it should work:
> >
> > 0xFFFFFFFF in NET_WM_DESKTOP means that window appears on all
> > desktops (wmaker=omnipresent, icewm=occupy all, ...). IMO it
> > is not a good idea to have a flag that makes NET_WM_DESKTOP
> >  irrelevant if the flag is set.
> >
> > WIN_STATE_NOSCROLL should tell the WM to keep it in the same place
> > during virtual desktop scrolling/paging, if the WM implements it.
>
> well STICKY is already widely used terminology, e.g. the fvwm config files
> recognize it as well as the current gnome window manager spec, apart from
> that, the current STICKY already indicates *not* to scroll the window.

It should not. The sticky in current spec indicates just to keep window
on all desktops. It has no meaning with regards to scrolling, and IMO it
should not.

> so i still think that the best way to handle this issue is to ignore
> _NET_WM_DESKTOP for _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY windows and have them flaged
> as _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY_SCROLLABLE when the application really wants a
> window to be scrollable (though i doubt that is actually a necesary
> property) as i suggested in my last mail to this list.
> this keeps _NET_WM_DESKTOP what it really is: an integer number to
> indicate the desktop, and uses flags to set the "sticky" state for a window.
> imagine this:
> -       an application opens up a new window (e.g. a track indicator for a CD
>         currently being played like the track warp feature from xmcd)
> -       the user decides to make that window sticky for some limited time
> -       later, the user changes its state back to be not sticky
>
> using an extra flag for the sticky state can preserve the original desktop of
> window, and the window can be "unsticked" to its original desktop (if desired),
> e.g. through a pager (which couldn't tell where the window originated from if
> you used 0xFFFFFFFF in the _NET_WM_DESKTOP property).

I don't think it is good UI for a window to disappear when user
deselects the sticky flag. The window should just be left on the current
desktop.

Mark
--
... There is no perfect file selection dialog...
Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/