Re: Simplifying the specs

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 raster@rasterman.com wrote:
> On  1 Dec, Sam Lantinga scribbled:
> ->
> ->  Just a general comment...
> ->  Simplifying is a good thing.  The simpler and better the spec, the more
> ->  likely it is to be properly implemented among the various window
> ->  managers and applications.
>
> but the simpler the spec in terms of functinality the less likely it is
> to encompass enough concepts that it will be useful enough to impliment.

I think dropping the workspace array from struts is sensible.  If we
rephrase it such that struts are only applicable to workspaces which the
client window is visible on, then anyone who wants to implement different
size panels on different workspaces can use a different window on each
workspace.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me :-)  Probably no harder to
implement than a single window which has to watch for workspace changes
and resize itself accordingly...

> i knwo some aspects of the spec (currently struts) arent much use to me
> because they assume that you MUSt have a toolbar the lenght of a side
> of the screen (or more than one side) - windmwomaker and E tend to have
> "toolbars" that dont take up entire sides (the icosn or dock/wharf in
> windowmaker) use up segments of the display in areas - not entire
> sides...

But for maximisation purposes they do take up the entire side.  Having
panels that do not take up an entire size makes calculating maximisation
area considerably more complicated, and you will usually come up with the
same area as if it did take up the whole side.

cheers,

Paul