Re: mc, mdi, mem About this list

>    > 3. Fantastically slow due to the sucky nature of the X Shape
>    > Extension.
>
>    I repeat again: we have conflicting data on the performance problems
>    with shape...
>
>    Some people see this problem: some do not. From profile data, it looked
>    to me quite possible there were window manager bugs that were causing
>    excess ConfigureWindow operations. Anything is slow if you do it much
>    more often than necessary.

Using XShape is slow beyond usability when the WM has opaque window move
and resize enabled. (I like them both very much). Lots of
configure/expose events are generated during such operations.

>    IF there is a problem, then it is quite possible to work on region performance
>    in the server, with the only caveat that it is painful to debug if you
>    get things wrong.

I am not sure XShape can be improved by orders of magnitude (without
serious memory overhead). I have recently tried WindowBlinds (for
Windows) that has E-style shaped themes and it is about as slow as X.

>    I again make a plea for some serious effort to go into proper analysis
>    of this problem rather than the mach-1 handwaving that has gone on to date.

The solution to having transparent text on the desktop is really
simple actually:

Create a single screen-sized window for the desktop (non-shaped)
and draw everything in it). This is the way that will be specified
in the new GNOME/KDE WM spec. (It is already possible to do with the
current WM spec).

Apart from removing XShape out of the picture, it has several
other advantages:

- GNOME has full control of the desktop background and WMs can't mess
with it. This means that desktop-background will actually work
predictably.
- desktop is just another (focusable) window, so you can easily do
keyboard navigation.
- desktop and icon view in gmc could share most of the code. (It would
be nice to have other views on the desktop).

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.
Marko.Macek@gmx.net                 http://www.kiss.uni-lj.si/~k4fr0235/