[Vala] Interpreting exit status

Hi all:

I have a little problem: I'm launching a process using GLib.Process.spawn_async, and use g_child_add_watch() to receive the exit status value. The problem is that I need to interpret the value sent by the application, not only "error/no error". I found that the value is stored in the upper 8 bits of the status variable, not in the lower ones. But in the documentation, it says that it is stored (in UNIX systems) in the same way than waitpid. But waitpid documentation is not very clear... Can I assume that the value set by the "exit()" call in the spawned program is always stored in the upper 8 bits?

Thanks.

--
Nos leemos
                         RASTER    (Linux user #228804)