Re: [Vala] Package `Gee-0.8' not found

   > On Thursday, 25 January 2018, 16:41:31 GMT, Ralf Ganswindt <ralfganswindt gmail com> wrote:
I'm experimenting with Vala and so far I like how it works. However, I
tried to compile a basic gee example from the sample programs and I get the
following:

$ valac --pkg Gee-0.8 list.vala
error: Package `Gee-0.8' not found in specified Vala API directories or

It should be --pkg gee-0.8 It is case sensitive!
You also need the development files installed. For Ubuntu that would be something likeapt install libgee-dev

GIR files:
You want to avoid GIR files to start with. They are GObject Introspection Repository (GIR)files that contain
enough information about a C library's interface to generate bindings forvarious languages, including Vala.
The Vala tool vapigen can then be used to generate aVala Application Programming Interface (VAPI) file from
the GIR. valac can do this automaticallyif a VAPI is not found.
By using the capitalized version, --pkg Gee-0.8, valac tried to generate the VAPI for you by
searching for the relevant GIR. It looks like that wasn't found either, probably because youdon't have the
development files installed. If you look at the files in the dev package youshould see the difference in
filenames.

When starting out you want to focus on using VAPI files for interfacing with libraries.
All the best,
Al