string lifetime(string a) {
    {
        string b = "pippo";
        a = b;
    }
    stdout.printf (a + "\n");
    return a;
}

I don't think the above is an error. Otherwise, we
won't be able to do even this:

string x() {
   string b = "pippo";
   return b;
}

I suspect you have an error somewhere else in your
program and mistakenly identify the above as the
culprit.

Nice day
Nor Jaidi Tuah

PRIVILEGED/CONFIDENTIAL information may be contained in this message. If you are neither the addressee
(intended recipient) nor an authorised recipient of the addressee, and have received this message in error,
please destroy this message (including attachments) and notify the sender immediately. STRICT PROHIBITION:
This message, whether in part or in whole, should not be reviewed, retained, copied, reused, disclosed,
distributed or used for any purpose whatsoever. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful and may contain
material protected by the Official Secrets Act (Cap 153) of the Laws of Brunei Darussalam. DISCLAIMER:
We/This Department/The Government of Brunei Darussalam, accept[s] no responsibility for loss or damage
arising from the use of this message in any manner whatsoever. Our messages are checked for viruses but we do
not accept liability for any viruses which may be transmitted in or with this message.