[Vala] Vast and other numerical projects

Hi all,

I'm working on a really nice project in collaboration with Yu Feng.

https://github.com/rainwoodman/vast

In the short term, this will provide a multi-dimensional dense array
implementation comparable to NumPy minus the Python runtime overhead.
There's already a couple of view routines implemented and we plan to
generate code, lot's of it!

I have a separate project which provide additional numerical types to
be used in the dense array (or anywhere else for that matter):

https://github.com/arteymix/numeric-glib

Then we'll address computation graph with the goal of reducing the time
needed to evaluate and compute gradients when processing data with high
dimensionality compared to other existing tools. This should be heavily
based on GObject Introspection to conveniently inject existing code
into the graph.

There's some future plan to implement a Jupyter/IPython kernel for Vala
and Genie. I have some drafts of using libvala to rewrite snippets AST
into chained blocks and evaluate them using forked processes. It should
not be too difficult considering that we already have ZeroMQ bindings
and an excellent library for the language.

While all these are pet projects, I am pretty optimist that we will
have a nice general purpose multi-dimensional array implementation for
crunching some serious numbers out of all that.

Best regards,

--
Guillaume Poirier-Morency <guillaumepoiriermorency gmail com>

Étudiant au baccalauréat en Informatique à l'Université de Montréal
Chercheur boursier à l'IRIC

Mon blog: https://arteymix.github.io/
Clé PGP: B1AD6EA5