[Vala] string.to_long vs long.parse

Hello list,

I note that string.to_long is deprecated, but that the replacement
long.parse has reduced functionality.  Using to_long, I can have
hexadecimal, octal and binary number strings accepted, whilst long.parse
doesn't allow for this.

This does seem rather a backward step.  Was there some reason for not
accepting different standardised number representations?

Can I safely used the to_long function, without fear of it suddenly
disappearing?  Given it's extremely useful functional advantage over the
alternative, can it be un-deprecated, perhaps?

Best Regards,

Andrew Lees.