[Vala] Reading last n lines from file

Hello, folks.

I am currently writing a small program with Vala/ncurses and I have
suddenly found the need to read last n lines of a constantly changing
file for display in an ncurses window.

What would be the easiest way to go about it in Vala?
It doesn't look like GIO is an option without a giant data stream
kludge, but I kind of need it to create and delete some files along the
way.

Cheers,
--
Serge Hooge

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail
/\                        - against proprietary attachments