Re: [Vala] GDBus codegen support

On 23/05/2013 02:50, Tiago Katcipis wrote:
Hi all,

First of all congratulations on such a great idea such as Vala. I'm working
on a very limited environment where C++ is not an option, so to do object
orientation I'm using GObject. But writing GObjects by hand is quite
annoying :-), so Vala is really a boost on GObject development, making such
a high level language generating C code and with low overhead bindings is
just great.

But I'm working with a lot of legacy code written in C/Gobject, algo there
is a lot of GDBus generated code (and of course, DBus interfaces
descriptions, on xml). Now we started to use Vala and it is just great to
write DBus interfaces, the client code and the server code, both are just
easy and beautiful.

But even it being simple...i just feel that I'm repeating myself, having to
map what is defined on the DBus IDL xmls that generates the C code on
Valacode by hand (i know the
Vala code is pretty straightforward, but it is still duplication, manually
doing this is error prone and just annoying). This kind of duplication
irritates me, it does not seen to be healthy :-).

Is there any plan on supporting Vala on GDbus codegen ? I would be very
interested on doing it...and it really seems to be a good idea, but i may
be missing something, or there is another tool that can help.
So you're asking a way to generate Vala code with gdbus-codegen? That indeed makes sense. There's no such program or plan for making it that I know.
I can see these possibilities:
1) Enhance current gdbus-codegen to support generating vala code. Note that this program is not written in vala obviously. 2) Create a separate gdbus like codegen for vala, and decide whether to ship this program with vala as contrib, as a valac option, or a separate project 3) Do not generate vala code at all, instead integrate the xml parser inside valac itself to create the necessary ast. I don't like this much as you can't see how vala maps from gdbus idl to vala.