Re: [Vala] Repository for third-party Vala bindings

On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 22:56 +0200, Giulio Paci wrote:
Hi to all,
      looking at https://live.gnome.org/Vala/ExternalBindings I can see the
section others, collecting those vapi files that "are not distributed
with Vala, the libraries they
bind, or the vala-extra-vapis repository".

What is the purpose of this section (i.e., why vapi files in this
section are not in the vala-extra-vapis repository)? Is it possible to
move some of those bindings into
vala-extra-vapis repository?

I only intend to include bindings with the permission of the creators,
regardless of license.  I have asked a few people for permission to
include their bindings, but not everyone (mostly because of a lack of
free time).  With that in mind, I suppose there are a couple different
groups:

Sometimes the authors of the bindings in question simply haven't asked
for them to be included in vala-extra-vapis.  This may be because they
don't know about vala-extra-vapis, or just haven't gotten around to it
yet.

Sometimes binding authors don't want them included.  Some people may
want to keep their bindings separate.

The bindings are abandoned.  Sometimes people write bindings for
software that they no longer use, and end up just abandoning the
bindings.  Technically I suppose these bindings still fall into one of
the categories mentioned above, just with a bit more apathy added to the
mix.

If you would like to contact the authors to encourage them to submit
their bindings, that would be great.  I'd love to get to the point where
that list vanishes.

-Evan