[Vala] valac: output symbols without compiling

Hi list!

Valac offers the option '--symbols=FILE', which is very handy in that it
writes all
public C symbols in an easy to parse file.
I'm using it to generate a version script for passing to ld.

However, right now I have to compile my library just to get this symbols
file,
which means I have to compile twice: first for the symbols file,
and the second time with the generated version script.

Is there no way I can tell valac to just "scan the code but don't compile
anything"?

 - Jonas