Re: [Vala] Dealing with bugs in the compiler

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 11:55 +0200, Thomas Jollans wrote:
PS: I'm not sure what to make of the fact that several bugs I've
reported are still "UNCONFIRMED", with no comments, despite including a
simple, reproducible test case. They're mostly obscure, so I'm not
expecting a quick fix, but a "confirmed" or "cannot reproduce" would
still be reassuring. But no worries, guys, I'm not letting lack of
feedback stop me.

The distinction between UNCONFIRMED and NEW is rarely used in GNOME
Bugzilla. It would probably be good to change that, but at the moment,
lots of bugs in Vala and other GNOME projects are incorrectly marked as
UNCONFIRMED. Also see last year's mailing list thread¹ on desktop-devel.

The biggest reason why even good bug reports don't always get a timely
response is simply that we are all quite busy and thus have to focus our
attention to the most critical bugs. I'm trying to cut down on the
response time for my part, but it's not always possible.

It's not always obvious how severe a reporter is affected by a
particular bug. If there is no response to a bug that is blocking your
project (or requires very ugly workarounds), let us know in a bug
comment or on IRC.

Regards,
Jürg

¹ https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-December/msg00039.html