Re: [Vala] vapigen and Autotools problem

Alejandro,

Is there a reason to create a .vapi file?  Couldn't your vala developers just
use the .gir file?  AFAIK, that is the preferred method for binding to vala if
you are already writing gobject libs.

-august.

  Hi, vala-list.
  Before anything else, I have to say I'm new to Vala and also to
vapigen usage. I've been working on a library which uses GObject and GTK
+ and is written in C, now other developers are going to use this
library to write an application, but they will do it using Vala, so I'm
currently binding it using GObjectIntrospecton and vapigen, both
integrated with the GNU Autotools.

  The directory structure of the library is composed by 4 directories,
each of which contains an alredy generated .gir file. I've managed to
integrate GObjectInstrospection in the project, and right now I'm
dealing with vapigen (whose documentation about integration with
Autotools doesn't exist, currently).

  The 4 directories have an horizontal dependency so the .gir of the
first one is needed to generate the .gir (and .vapi) of the next one and
so on with all of them, all being in the same level of the build tree.

  To generate the .girs I've used the --include-uninstalled option to
include the previously generated .gir file of the project. Now, when the
build system tries to run vapigen to generate a .vapi that depends on
another part of the library, it fails.

  The call to vapigen is something like this:
    $(VAPIGEN) --pkg glib-2.0 --pkg gobject-2.0 --pkg gvn-0.1 -d
$(vapidir) --vapidir=$(vapidir) --library foo-0.1 Foo-0.1.gir

  The .vapi file of the "gvn" package is alredy generated (and put in
the directory specified via the --vapidir option) at this point, as well
as the .gir of the current package.

  And this is the error it produces:
    error: Package `Gvn-0.1' not found in specified Vala API directories
or GObject-Introspection GIR directories

  I guess it has something to do with the package not being installed,
but I couldn't find a way to tell it to vapigen. However that's just a
guess, so I don't really know what i'm doing wrong and/or how to solve
this. Can anyone help me with it?

  Thanks in advance!

  Regards,
    Alex

PS: sorry if my english is a mess, if something is not clear tell me and
I'll try to rewrite it.