[Vala] Get default terminal emulator?

Hi list,

How do I get the user's default terminal emulator with GLib/GIO? I would assume it involves GLib.AppInfo in some way, but it's not as straightforward as that since there isn't really a MIME type associated with opening a terminal window as far as I know.

Is there even a freedesktop-standard way of doing this? On GNOME, I imagine one could go into the depths of GSettings, but can that work for non Gnome users? On Debian/Ubuntu, running x-terminal-emulator will get you the system default, but that doesn't exist on other systems and disregards the user's preferences.

Thanks
Thomas