[Vala] Using Libraries

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to use libraries in a
Vala program. I understand how to import a namespace and how to
include the library in my command to the compiler. But how do I
install a library in the proper location so I don't get a compiler
warning about a missing namespace?

For example, if I want to compile against the GTK 3.0 library on
Windows, what to I need to install? Do I need to modify any path
variables after installation?

What if I want to use the Gee library on Ubuntu?

Thanks for the help. I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

Landon