Re: [Vala] GTK+ Tutorial

On 30/08/12 11:13, Axel FILMORE wrote:
On 29/08/2012 22:39, Horace Abenga wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on writing a comprehensive GTK+ programming using Vala tutorial
that will loosely follow the classic GTK+ tutorial
(http://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/2.90/).

I've done the first four chapters, which can be found (in docbook xml) on
https://github.com/abenga/valagtktutorial .

I'm requesting for comments, especially on coding conventions, best
practice coding
techniques, and any other suggestions of things I should include or
remove, before I
go too far.

Great idea :-P

I agree with David about adding a space before parenthesis, much better
even in C.

My personal rules with Vala are :

- No "using". (something I learned from Elementary Developer Guide :-P)

Erm, okay... Well I can see your point. You want to be clear on what
you're using. However, the extra typing isn't really worth it since any
good IDE can give you the info anyway. Sadly, there aren't a lot of good
IDEs for Vala.

- No "var", only explicit variable declarations for code clarity.

Yes "var", as much as possible, to avoid repetition. Except where it
something wouldn't be clear without an explicit declaration.

That's personal taste, now if you adopt the same rules, maybe you can
use "using" and "var" in the first chapter to explain things and not
using it in other chapters to force newcomers to good practices. :-P

:)