Re: [Vala] Future-proofing ABI - how to add dummy v-methods to Vala classes

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 15:04 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
On 6 August 2012 06:30, Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

What is recommended way of adding dummy v-methods to classes (IIUC that
is not an issue for GObject interfaces as size of V-table is not part of
ABI for interfaces)?

Just adding reserved v-method (if yes how to prevent it from appearing
in gir/vapi)?

    public virtual void reserved1(void);

vfuncs are also visible in the C/GObject GInterface declarations.

I meant that the size of interface class is not part of interface ABI so
I can add fields (here - extend vtable) without breaking API.

I think something like a 'internal virtual void foo(void)' should be
there in the binary, but not be visible in the GIR/VAPI (although
still visible in the symbol table if you probe it with 'nm' or other
tools).

Yes - because the user will not be able to just enter git clone
git://git.gnome.org/libgee ;)

Cheers,
Mikkel

Thanks.