Re: [Vala] R: Re: R: POSIX and Dova profiles

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 16:12 +0200, sejerpz tin it wrote:
But I think having classes and some more oop machinery will
be also useful in micros with very low resources (32-64Kb of memory),
where of course a full framework doesn't make any sense (nor a rich
string class etc...)

In my opinion, the continuation of the Dova experiment will be better
suited for embedded hardware (where you can't or don't want to use
GLib). It will support interfaces and it will allow embedding the needed
bits of the runtime library into the executable without making the
executable larger than necessary.

I agree, but taking Dova as a reference I think that should be usable
with the bare minimum.

For example why Uri, Node, ArrayList, List are member of the dova-base lib?
One hypothetical library should include just the minimum to implement
classes, interfaces and signal, leaving all the rest, and I mean also
rich string classes or other enanched datatypes, to the upper layers.

Unused parts of the library will not have any impact on the size of the
binary in the current plan.

The syntax won't be identical to Vala
but as code typically cannot be reused between Vala/GObject and

Vala/POSIX either, I don't expect this to be a big issue.

Will still
be a C based language? A lot of people are used to C in micro land ;)

Are you referring to a C backend or to C-like syntax?

(On a side note I'm not sure that I like the result = blah of the dova
profile, it reminds me vb6 when you have to write funcion_name = blah,
and I think that return blah is still better and more clear)

The current plan is to move back to return statements, although possibly
with a caveat that the return will not be allowed to act as an arbitrary
jump.

Jürg