[Vala] uint8[] GObject properties

I have written a GObject class that has the following property:

[...]
private uint8[] _thumbnail;
[...]
public uint8[] thumbnail {
        get { return _thumbnail; }
        set { _thumbnail = value; }
}
[...]

When I run my application, I see:

(lt-dpapview:13731): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_set_valist:
object class `ValaDPAPRecord' has no property named `thumbnail'

But, if I replace uint8[] with string, then I see no such error at
runtime.

When I inspect the generated C source, I find that there is no reference
to thumbnail in _get and _set_property() when it is declared as a uint8[].

Is this expected? What type should be used for properties that hold
binary data, possibly read using GLib.FileUtils.get_data()?

--
Mike

:wq