Re: [Vala] Five bugs in Vala integration

[ trying to add vala-list; this is
  <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.bugs/5008> ]

* Valentin David wrote on Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 03:08:00PM CEST:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Well, are the derived sources portable, i.e., not depending on the
system on which they are created?

Unfortunately no. "Starting with version 0.7.0, Vala supports the
preprocessing directives #if, #elif, #else, and #endif."

http://live.gnome.org/Vala/FAQ#Does_Vala_have_a_preprocessor.3F

Well, that's a blow, but it's not necessarily the end of portable
derived sources, iff developers are careful to never (ab)use this
feature to create nonportable derived sources.

I'm not qualified to judge that.  I'm fine with changing the semantics
in Automake (so that vala derived sources are not distributed), but
please do Cc: vala-list for such Vala-related changes in Automake, in
case they have comments; in fact, this whole thread may be of interest
to them so I've added the list in Cc: now.

Thanks,
Ralf