Re: [Vala] making a running a program as a child inside my program's widget.

Thanks a lot.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Arkadi Viner <arkashkin gmail com> wrote:

Thanks a lot.

2010/3/5 Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz>

Hello,

On Fri, March 5, 2010 07:18, Arkadi Viner wrote:
for my class assignment I what to extend ValaIDE so when I click on *.UI
file it would be opened in Glade,
but I want glade to be executed inside a new tab (so it will look as
part
of
the ValaIDE interface...) .

Could some body explain to me how such thing could be done?

Gtk has the Gtk.Socket and Gtk.Plug widgets for this purpose. You create
a Gtk.Socket and the process you want to embed creates a Gtk.Plug. You
give
one of the objects the ID of the other and the plug will be inserted into
the socket.

It is possible to tell the Socket to swallow a normal top-level window,
too,
but it will not work too smoothly, so you'd really want to make glade
create
a plug instead of top-level window. It might already support it if anjuta
already does similar thing (I don't know whether it does).

Note, that Qt has compatible pair of widgets, so you can embed Qt
applications in the same way. However while Gtk supports Socket and Plug
also on Windows, Qt only supports them on X11.

--
                                       - Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz>