Re: [Vala] GBinding support?

Hi,

On Sun, 2010-06-20 at 17:57 +0200, Frederik wrote:
GLib/GObject 2.26 will add property binding [1]. The straightforward way to
support this in Vala would be:

  Object.bind_property (foo, "x", bar, "y");
  Object.bind_property (foo, "x", bar, "y", BindingFlags.BIDIRECTIONAL);

However, this is not very type-safe. Would direct language support be
reasonable? E.g. something like

  foo.x +> bar.y;     // default
  foo.x <+> bar.y;    // bidirectional

Or is it too cryptic?

We don't need special syntax for every available GObject method. Let's
first have a plain binding and see how it will be used. If we see a very
common pattern where syntactic sugar would help a lot, we can reconsider
adding syntactic sugar.

And how to deal with 'g_object_bind_property_full'? It takes two TransformFuncs
but only one user_data/GDestroyNotify pair.

This will be fixed, I talked to ebassi on IRC.

Jürg