Re: [Vala] non-null broken in vala 0.9.3

tecywiz121 píše v Čt 15. 07. 2010 v 23:06 -0400:

Bringing static code analysis would be amazing, but I have a feeling
that detecting when a variable is considered safe is an undecidable
problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undecidable_problem ).  Not sure
though.

I wouldn't go into discussion about whether it's decidable or not. The
fact is that a much simpler variant of that problem (whether or not
there is an if statement or assertion whose condition ensures safety) is
entirely sufficient for vast majority of cases. For the rest of them,
you'll just have one extra assert(), which is not a problem but rather a
good practice.

PART FOUR: afterword

Well that's all. Please don't take this email as an offence - I know
that you're guys working really hard to make vala more and more
cool. I'm trying to help sometimes, reported a few bugs... :) And please
don't take this email as an "angry user change request", well, I'm
angry and I have my own vision of what should my favourite language be,
but I want to discuss this vision, not enforce it.

Same goes for me!  So far vala is the closest thing to what I want in a
language, and I think sharing the opinions of its users is a good idea.

I'm not angry since I don't actually use it yet, but I think the
behavior should be reverted until some reasonably useful static checks
are in place.