Re: [Vala] using a non-glib c library

One more thing, a lot of the functions return C style strings, (char *) are
they the same as vala strings? (so I can replace char * with string?)

Yes, "string" in vala corresponds to "char *" in C. You will just have to
find out which strings you have to free and which not and mark the later as
"weak". All const ones will be weak, but some others might too.

Could you elaborate on the weak strings and when to use them a little? I don't have much experience with C.