Re: [Vala] [Genie] simple string example no longer compiles

Hey there,

Could someone explain this to me? I don't understand why this code was
ok before but no longer.
Why not simply var s = "" instead of new string? In my opinion, having
a constructor for string which takes a string does not make any sense.

Why not? 'string' is a class like any other, why shouldn't it have a
constructor? I you want to derive from 'string' and add some
construction-time checking you would need a constructor anyway.

That said; I've never touched Genie.

Cheers,
Raphael