Re: [Vala] Creating executables without glib/gobject

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 10:37 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 17:46 +0800, Barry Kauler wrote:
I am very interested in what you have done, with your "Multiboot"
code. I'm wondering how far this can be pushed. Is it feasible to code
in a subset of Vala/Genie such that Glib/Gobject is not required, only
the C library, so the executable could be compiled statically with
dietlibc?

[...]

I'm wondering though, would I quickly run into trouble if I started to
write anything more than the most elementary Vala/Genie program?

You'll hit limits quite soon if you want to use more Vala features.
Various users seem to be interested in using Vala also for non-GLib
based applications. I wouldn't be opposed to supporting, for example, a
POSIX backend where GLib would not be mandatory. However, this is not
something I will focus on for the next few months. Requiring GLib is not
an issue for most users, and there is still some work left to do before
we can consider a stable Vala release.

Vala git master has a new command-line option --profile. Code compiled
with valac --profile posix will not depend on GLib or GObject. However,
many language features are currently not supported with the POSIX
profile.

I'm still not planning to really work on this, however, now that the
basic infrastructure is there, I'd certainly accept patches to make it
more useful.

Jürg