1. Try to download the source
2. Open vala.vapi from vala source (vala-<version>/vala)
Here you have an overview of all used classes in vala-compiler.

I think you can start reading at valaparser.vala
(vala-<version>/vala/valaparser.vala)

Regards
Uwe

2009/7/13 Jiří Zárevúcky <zarevucky jiri gmail com>

Hello everyone.

It's been some time since I started learning Vala. Now that I
understand the language (or at least I think so), I'd like to start
digging into the compilation process, and the compiler itself, so I
can help develop it and fix issues.

Can someone give me any pointers on where to start? There is quite a
lot of code and quite a little documentation on it.

Rodney Lorrimar wwrote a Hacker's guide to Vala a year ago, which is still
pretty sound and a good starting point:
http://rodney.id.au/dev/vala/hackers.html

I agree that starting with the valaparser and the valacompiler is the most
adequate.

Vlad

Thank you both. I'll look at those. :)