Re: [Vala] use weak and var together

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 12:19 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 09:24 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 01:04 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 08:08 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 23:56 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
Talking about circular references, is it possible to have a
circular ref
breaker mechanism like the one in GTK for vala fundamental classes?

I don't think we should always add a dispose mechanism to fundamental
classes. However, if someone wants to use that, it should still be
possible to implement this with a bit of extra Vala code.

I suddenly realized it is impossible to write dispose mechanism with
extra vala code because one can not override the hidden unref method,
therefore one can not do the cycle detection/breaking at the right time.

unref methods are never virtual in GObject. However, you can override
the dispose method in Vala. Is this what you meant or can you explain
what exactly you want to achieve?

No. We were talking about GTypeInstance fundamental classes in that
mail. They don't have a 'dispose' method to be overriden.

Right, but I'm not sure that you need to change anything in the unref
function to get dispose functionality working. Can you explain more
specifically what you can't get working with the current possibilities?

Jürg