Re: [Vala] Coding standard: indentation?

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Michel Salim <michel sylvan gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Phil Housley <undeconstructed gmail com> wrote:
2009/2/9 Michel Salim <michel sylvan gmail com>:

Incidentally, would it be a good idea to move the tutorial code to a
module under version control? That way they can be matched to different
Vala releases, and developers can track Vala's evolution by tracking
changes in the sample programs.

Would be good, but also a bit of a management problem.  Not only would
they have to be kept synchronized, it would also make it trickier to
let people add and maintain...  Possibly a separate repo could be used
to keep the history around in an easier to track way than wiki, but
someone would still have to put quite a lot of time into it.

A separate repo is definitely worthwhile. The current wiki-based
set-up is harder for both experienced Vala hands to maintain, and for
new users, since some of the code is likely to be stale at any given
time.

With a repo, all the sample code can be built automatically every time
there is a new release, and can serve as a poor man's unit testing
too.

I'm starting a project on Gitorious to start collating these examples.
Any idea what licenses these code samples are supposed to be? I'm
assuming something liberal like BSD.

OK, here it is. Please advise as to licensing for code samples --
could it even be public domain instead of BSD?

http://gitorious.org/projects/vala-samples

(there is an interface for requesting merges from different
repositories, and anyone with regular contribution can be added to the
commit list).

Incidentally, something funny happens on my box (Fedora Rawhide,
x86_64) with the string example:

The string 'cr?me br?l?e' is 12 characters long and is stored in 15 bytes

The accents disappear on printing?

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim cs indiana edu