Re: [Vala] Quick question regarding times and dates...

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:14:40 +0100,
Tadej Borovšak <tadeboro gmail com> wrote:

GLib already has a function to do this: g_date_set_time_t(). I don't
know why it isn't wrapped in Vala, but I've been using it in C and it
works like a charm.

Poking around a little more, I finally found it.  Time.  Du'h.

        Time time = Time.local(time_t timep);
        time_t timep = time.mktime();
        string tstr = time.format("...");

Some things that were kind of annoying; Time doesn't seem to have
date/time manipulation commands (what IS the point of having separate
Date and Time classes, anyhow?!?).  Time also appears to lack a to_date
function (alternatively, a Date.from_time() would work just as well,
along with a few other constructors).  Further Date, quite
irritatingly, seems to lack a format() function, and Vala doesn't like
casting from time.day to DateDay which makes using date.set_dmy()
rather difficult.

So I ended using a round trip though Time to wind the initial time_t
back to the prior midnight, and then repeatedly updating the time_t
(adding 43200 seconds) and re-generating the Time object, for each
12-hour period along the data set.  Not the cleanest way I can imagine,
but it appears to work.

--
Fredderic

Take your Axe, Bobs your Auntie, and All that Jazz.

Debian/unstable (LC#384816) on 2.6.30-i686 2009 (up 23 days, 3:36)