Re: [Vala] Get file characterset

Jan Hudec wrote:
… I suppose the something like which encoding leads to least typos
reported
by spellcheck or which encoding leads to character distribution closest to
normal for some language would be the only way if you really needed to
guess encoding of large set of documents of mixed encodings. …

Ah, thanks for the information. That should make dealing with UTF-16 and
maybe 32 a lot easier.

You've confirmed my suspicions about the other encodings; I didn't know
that for sure, though. That's too bad, I guess. But, if there's no real
solution, it makes my job as a programmer a lot easier and I can be at
peace. :) I figure giving them the option to enter a secondary encoding
to try for if UTF-8 doesn't work is a good idea. Right now it's just in
saved settings, but I'm thinking about having a window pop up when this
happens, allowing them to select one (including the current locale, I
suppose—maybe that should be the default, but I'm guessing for this
program, most of the txt files used will not have originated on their
computers).