Re: [Vala] [RFC] Testing framework improvements

Hi Jan,

Pleased to see you took a look at our work.

2009/8/8 Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz>

Hello Julien,

Julien Peeters <jj peeters    > writes:
We made work about that in LibGee. We wrote a TestFixture class which
wraps
the TestCase class of GLib.Test namespace and make tests use Vala style
coding.

Our work in only in the master branch of libgee (see
tests/testfixture.vala)
for the moment. I have planned to improve this little framework and make
it
become an independant library if that will make sense.

I have downloaded libgee and looked at it. Unfortunately it's a different
from what other unit test libraries call a fixture, because in all those
libraries, the fixture is re-created for each test case and deleted again
afterwards.

I am not sure I get you on your remark about the way we manage fixtures. Do
you download code from git master branch ?
I think we should discuss about that on #vala channel. That's would be
easier, isn't it?

It should be possible to convert your fixture to behave that way by making
the suite a class variable and placing the add_test calls into the class
constructor.  (The class variables and class constructors are members and
constructor of the meta-object, so they are separate for each subclass). On
the other hand the gir-based approach would still make it nicer to use.

Certainly, but once again, I think we achieve the same thing with two
different ways.

Also now I noticed a problem caused by the generic tests. With explicitly
created fixtures, you can have generic fixtures and set the types as you
wish. But the same would not be possible with introspection-based
construction. So one would instead create subclasses, that would derive
using
particular type. And that causes a problem how the runner knows not to
instantiate the base class -- which leads me to believe the fixture should
in
fact be an interface, so the test classes can be derived in whatever way
one
needs. It makes a lot of sense in other cases too, e.g. if you want to run
the same set of tests against multiple implementations of something.

Of course I agree. Generic tests cannot be used with introspection in the
way you describe the problem. But an intermediate choice can certainly be
possible. Using generic tests make possible to factorize a lot of code
especially in generic containers tests and that should ever improve tests
consistence and reliability despite they are a bit more complicated to write
and need to be re-implemented in some specific cases.

I think our both directions are completing and then make code being possibly
factorized.

I will update it when I test that the gir approach is viable.

Great.

Regards,
Jan

Best,
Julien.

--
Student in electronics and engineering
Institut de Formation des Ingénieurs de Paris-Sud (IFIPS)