Re: [Vala] Vala support for automake

* Jürg Billeter wrote on Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:02:30PM CEST:
On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 20:49 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
bin_PROGRAMS = foo
foo_SOURCES = foo1.vala foo2.vala
foo_LDADD = libbar.a
noinst_LIBRARIES = libbar.a
libbar_a_SOURCES = bar1.vala bar2.vala

How would valac cope with the necessarily separate invocations for
foo*.vala and bar*.vala?  And what happens if you try to put vala
code into shared libraries, and use them from other vala code?

In this case you instruct valac to generate a bar.vapi and a bar.h file
and use those files in the program by specifying

libbar_a_VALAFLAGS = --library bar -H bar.h
foo_VALAFLAGS = bar.vapi

A .vapi file contains declarations for Vala libraries, similar to a .h
file for C libraries.

How is the semantic relationship between the .vapi name and its library?
  s/^lib//; s/\.a$//; s/$/.vapi/    ?

What about shared libraries, do they have .vapi's, too?

What if I want to build one big shared (or static) library from a set of
convenience archives (uninstalled .a libraries with PIC code)?  Do you
have means to generate a .vapi for the big library from the .vapi's of
the several small ones (plus maybe a couple of loose objects, too)?

Just trying to find out how far we can push it.

Thanks,
Ralf