From: Thijs Vermeir [mailto:thijsvermeir gmail com]
Sent: 14 November 2008 17:07
To: Spencer, Matthew
Cc: vala-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Vala] Problem with gstreamer bin

Hi,

2008/11/14 Spencer, Matthew <MSpencer nds com>:
Hi Guys

I am playing with Vala with a view to presenting information about it
at our companies developer conference in a couple of weeks.  With this

in mind I am trying to build up a test application that shows video
playback using GStreamer.  I am having problems with the following
code:

private Element createVideoBin() {
  var bin=new Bin("videobin");
  var queue=ElementFactory.make("queue","queue");
  var sink=ElementFactory.make("autovideosink","videosink");
  var ghostPad=new GhostPad("sink",queue.get_pad("sink"));
  bin.add_many(queue,sink);
  queue.link(sink);
  bin.add_pad(ghost);
  return(bin);
}

bin.add_many is the problem because the c function takes the ownership,
but the bindings don't do it. Just use bin.add for every element as a
workaround...

Gr,
Thijs

When attempting to use the returned bin, I get a segfault.  This is
because (I think, on examining the generated C code) the elements are
being unrefd before the bin is returned.  I am sure this is not
supposed to happen.

I get a number of error messaged when running the app:
(mystreamer:16361): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
Trying to dispose of object "videosink", but it still has a parent
"videobin".
You need to let the parent manage the object instead of unreffing the
object directly.

I am assuming this is because I need to inform the code that I wish to

transfer ownership of the objects to the 'Bin', but how do I do this,
and is there a way that this can be picked up by the compiler to
prevent this type of problem?

Cheers

Matt
***********************************
This e-mail is confidential, the property of NDS Ltd and intended for
the addressee only. Any dissemination, copying or distribution of this

message or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient

please immediately notify the postmaster nds com and destroy the
original message. Messages sent to and from NDS may be monitored. NDS
cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free.
Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this
message and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission. You
should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of NDS.

To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless
necessary.

NDS Limited Registered office: One Heathrow Boulevard, 286 Bath Road,
West Drayton, Middlesex, UB7 0DQ, United Kingdom. A company registered

in England and Wales Registered no. 3080780 VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

This e-mail is confidential, the property of NDS Ltd and intended for the addressee only.  Any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster