From: Geert Jan <gj_alsem yahoo com>
Subject: [Vala] Gtk.TextBuffer text/set_text
To: vala-list gnome org
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 9:33 AM
Gtk.TextBuffer has a property:

    public weak string text { set; get; }

This should mean you can either use:

    my_text_buffer.text = "foo";

Or:

    my_text_buffer.set_text ("foo");

Right? However, the set_text() method in this case is
different:

    public void set_text (string text, int len)

So, this works:

    my_text_buffer.set_text ("foo", 3);

But this doesn't:

    my_text_buffer.text = "foo";

The problem is, valac compiles that last line, but gcc
gives an error saying gtk_text_buffer_set_text() isn't
getting enough arguments. So I'm guessing this
constitutes as a bug in Vala.

BTW, I would have just submitted a bug report on bugzilla,
but the whole philosophy behind the { set; get; } way of
working is still a bit unclear to me. Is it meant to be
double, as in: you can always use both "object.x =
something" and "object.set_x(something)"? Why
wasn't there chosen for one way? Maybe I'm just
fussing too hard over this, but I keep wondering which is
the preferred way of the two.