Re: [Vala] private fields vs bodyless properties

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:46 +0200, Juerg Billeter wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 10:28, Yu Feng wrote:
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 06:57 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
The reason for this is that the objects are gobjects and these are
created by a g_object_new call [1]. That function can only set
properties. So you need to have a property if you want to pass data to
your constructor

However the following code is perfectly fine;

MyObject * my_object_new(int my_value){
  MyObject * myobject = g_object_new(TYPE_MY_OBJECT, NULL);
  MyObjectPrivate * priv = MY_OBJECT_GET_PRIVATE(myobject);
  priv->my_value = my_value;
}
(I think I am also using this when writing c programs)

We don't allow this as it will break subclassing, i.e. subclasses can't
assign anything to my_value, and it will also break bindings that call
g_object_new directly.

You are right my code was a bad behavior. If something should be
initialized when creating the instance, it has to be a property.

Juerg