[Vala] Installation problem

Hello,
I was about to try the vala, but I stumbled upon a very basic problem. I cannot install the vala.

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sisken/ws/vala/gee'
valac --vapidir ./../vapi --basedir .. --library gee arraylist.vala collection.vala hashmap.vala hashset.vala iterable.vala iterator.vala list.vala map.vala readonlycollection.vala readonlylist.vala readonlymap.vala readonlyset.vala set.vala
make[2]: valac: Command not found

Maybe I am doing something stupid, but I was unable to locate any C code which looked like compiler itself.

Thanks