Re: [Vala] Ownership syntax changes

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 02:19 +0100, Hans Vercammen wrote:
On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 12:10 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:

      * `(owned)' cast replaces `#' reference transfer expression

Even less used, equally unintuitive. Example of new syntax:

string foo = (owned) bar;

I don't have a strong opinion on this since I don't really need it, but
using a cast expression feels a bit wrong. Not sure if we want to keep
the option open of having operator overloading, but what about something
like:

string foo <= bar;
or
string foo << bar;

 <= and << are already operators in use and would be confusing but i do
agree the use of cast syntax here is odd

I would suggest something thats not a cast but still clear:

string foo owns bar;

or

string foo = owned bar;

jamie