Re: [Vala] vte get_cursor_position error

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Anthony Taylor <tony paperdove org> wrote:
Hey, folks,

There's a bug in vte.vapi, with get_cursor_position, at least in svn
revision 1730. The current definition is:

       public void get_cursor_position (long column, long row);

It should be:

       public void get_cursor_position (out long column, out long row);

Yes it looks like you're right.

I'm still pretty new to Vala development, so I don't know exactly how this
all fits together. So, a couple of (hopefully quick, hopefully
not-too-naive) questions:

In the file "vte.gi", the method is defined thusly:

<method name="get_cursor_position"
              symbol="vte_terminal_get_cursor_position">
  <return-type type="void"/>
  <parameters>
      <parameter name="terminal" type="VteTerminal*"/>
      <parameter name="column" type="glong*"/>
      <parameter name="row" type="glong*"/>
  </parameters>
</method>

Both the column and row types are set to glong*. Shouldn't that get
translated as an "out" parameter automatically? Or, is this just a matter of
regenerating the vte.vapi file? (I've never done that, but I'm sure I can
figure it out.)

You'll need to modify the vte.metadata file and then run vapigen. Some
(slightly vague) instructions are at
http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Bindings

Finally (and this is naive), how do I submit a patch, if one is required?

First, file a bug:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=vala

If you want to submit a patch, then checkout the source from svn, make
changes, and then run

$ svn diff . > a.patch

Then add the file "a.patch" as an attachment to the bug report.

Cheers,
Jared

Thanks a bunch.

                               - Tony