Re: [Vala] Autocomplete with Vala

I think code completion (or is it syntax highlighting?) is being worked
on for anjuta.

On 2007-09-27 14:18:05 (-0400), Kevin Kubasik <kevin kubasik net> wrote:
1) Is it possible to get this information from the native libraires? I
know ctags does something like this, could we utilize information from
a ctags database to provide the information needed?

A future release of glib should contain glib introspection, but this is
not available yet.

2) If the above is not realistic, how could we get autocompete
information from binding/system libraries? Could we parse some
generated documentation? Would it need to be developed with the
generation of the bindings? Or would we need to have access to the
source? (maybe generate an autocomplete DB from the source, but still

I think this would be the more feasible option, as this is available
now, and probably has richer information anyway. The files you'ld want
to parse are in /usr/share/vala/vapi (or /usr/local/share/vala/vapi),
and those should be quite parsable.
But now may not be the best time to start on this, as Juerg is working
on rewriting the C parser, and there may be subtle changes in the file
format.
Btw, you need those files when compiling a vala app anyway, so it's not
really "source". ;)

requiring access to the source for initial generation) What about
access to just the C source? Could we offer autocomplete support for
binding to native libraries?
3) Would someone be willing to work with me to help implement
something like this? I don't want to pour the time and energy into a
partial implementation for monodevelop only to have it shunned by the
Vala dev team. Furthermore, parsing the libraries is beyond me, I'll
admit that without some help or guidance, I really wouldn't know what
to do/where to start/how to proceed.

I may possibly be interested. ;)

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz SafeHex be
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."