Re: [Vala] bugs

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 22:36 +0200, pancake wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 21:17:13 +0200
Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
I don't want to make half a build-system out of valac, the -X option
should work fine the same way it does for C compilation.

Can I change the compiler used by valac?

Yes, use --cc=COMMAND.

A little question... is there any way to browse namespaces classes and methods?
a cmdline tool to query this will be nice for an IDE (or vim ;) integration for
method autocompletion and so.

You can do that via libvala, although it's probably too slow for IDE
integration right now as it has to parse the VAPI files every time -
unless you just keep the symbol tree in memory. A binary - possibly
mmap-able - cache file might make sense here.

Is there any introspection api for doing it at runtime offering a dbus service
for querying?

No, I also don't think that it makes a lot of sense as a dbus service,
as it's not really a desktop service, rather project-specific.
Integration into IDEs via a library should work fine.

BTW a 'valadoc' tool would be cool :) I think this can be done hacking a bit on
the valac parser code to avoid dupping the parser code.

There will be such a tool and it will reuse the parser of libvala.

Another question. Are you planning to add any scripting facility for Vala?

Something like a SWIG interface generator for different scripting languages
that emits vala code to implement the native interface to bridge the
script engine and the core application.

This way it will be somewhat easy to make a Vala application be extended with
python, perl, javascript, lua, php or whatever else.

We're planning to write a bindings generator for Python (and more), that
will be useful as bindings for libraries and also for plug-in systems.

Jürg