Re: [Vala] How to debug vala programs in gdb?

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 12:18 +0100, jamie wrote:
On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 13:12 +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
* jamie <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk> wrote:
On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 17:37 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
Hi,

How can you debug vala programs in gdb? I can only debug the resulting
c code of the vala compiler. Is it already possible to debug vala
programs in gdb by stepping through vala sources or is this still on
the roadmap

I think its still on the roadmap but it should not be hard to do - we
only need a mapping of c line numbers to vala lines then a wrapper app
around gdb to perform the step overs

The only thing that needs to be done, is that valac generates #line
entries in the C source code, just like bison does with parser.y:

#line 67 "parser.y"

true but it still needs massaging for function names and other symbols -
juerg mentioned that libvala could do this so it should be easy to
create a vdb app that wraps gdb and mods the output. That way backtraces
could show the vala methods...

IIRC anjunta spawns gdb for debugging via stdin/stdout so it we would be
nice to have the option to replace it with vdb and get the same
functionality in anjunta when using vala

ah for anjuta it uses a plugin for debugging -
/usr/lib/anjuta/anjuta-gdb.plugin

so it should be easy to modify that one to be more vala specific

jamie