[Vala] out, ref and GError parameters.

Hello, list.

I'd like to know what is the "ref" keyword supposed to do in
parameters, I thought it would make the said parameter a pointer to
the type, but it made no change, at least not with class types.

So, right now I'm using out for that matter. Unfortunately, I can't
seem to use the GError stuff with that because it always tries to
dereference the pointer... and it is very likely that users of the
code will once in a while pass null as a parameter.

Do you guys have any idea on how to make this kind of code work ? It
is the last thing preventing me from using Vala and I'd really like to
use it :)

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.