Re: [Vala] How to work with files in Vala?

On 10/12/2007, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds gmail com> wrote:
On Dec 10, 2007 7:09 PM, Denis Cheremisov <denis-cheremisov yandex ru> wrote:
How do I open them? How do I work with pipes?
What methods use for them in Vala?

What I would do is to look into glib-2.0.vapi and find out what
methods are provided. There is class GLib.FileStream which provides
access to libc functions. Method naming is not all the same as libc's
though.

More generally http://library.gnome.org/devel/references has fairly
complete API docs on all of GLib, GTK+ and GDK in C.  Each of those is
pretty much represented in a single .vapi file distributed with vala.
Use the C docs, which are separated by subject and indexed to find the
classes you want, and then translate the names into vala style, using
the .vapi files to look up any odd details, such as subtlely changed
arguments.

WIth vala's current state it can be very helpful to know the C
functions anyway, as it helps you get an idea of the transformations
that vala does for you, just in case there are mistakes in the .vapi
files.

Hope that helps.

Phil.