[Vala] handling of 'uchar' type

Hi,

I am truly excited about the Vala project. The developers are extremely responsive and fix many bugs immediately after they're reported.

Would it be possible to treat uchar more like (u)int? That is, allow it to be used for indexing into arrays and automatically cast literals in comparisons?

For example:

foo(uchar b) {
  if (b > 0) {
  }
}

Currently gives an error for the comparison of 'b' and '0' unless I cast 0 to uchar. As an aside, it would be nice if the "if" statement would automatically coerce numbers to logicals (so I could say "if (b)" there instead of "if (b > 0)"). It would also be great if Vala parsed hexadecimal literals like 0xff.

By the way, I just noticed Vala is listed on bugzilla.gnome.org; in the future I will use that mechanism.

Thanks,
Michael