[Vala] Looking for some general information on Vala's capabilities

I recently decided to convert a project I am working on from weak polymorphism
with structs and unions to full GObject, and I'm wondering...there are
projects like Vala out there, and I don't know for sure if they'd be for
me...specifically, I want to easily be able to do straight C and more complex
things in the code, as I have to do some low-level X calls (for event
forwarding to XEmbed clients).

If you are curious, gitweb can be browsed for the project at:
http://metascape.afraid.org:13666/link/gitweb/?p=bdock

I'd love to know if Vala could do what I want here, because I do like the
straight C and gobject/gtk approach (at least better than QT/C++) but gobject
is such a pain to write out by hand, and I would rather use the best tools
available.

--Quinn