Re: [Vala] Date and time manipulation

Hi there,

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 18:26 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:

it should be okay to define a POSIX layer for the missing glib
functionality EG strftime, file reading/writing etc (it you want windows
support than all that would need some abstraction)
True. We have some of that already on here but we are not quite sure yet
how we should define the interface and what should ne included there.
I.e. what can be omitted by using intelligent subitutions (e.g. for
types).

Other interesting tidbits include regex support and gnu/glibc stuff - so
long as its reasonably portable I would suggest including it.
Yes, noting stands against that except that those libs are not OOish and
we'd like to present them as OOish as possible :).

I would also suggest having a small, private lib that's statically
linked into all vala programs. Languages like Delphi (and I guess D) do
this without adding any significant bloat.
We thought of that too. In some sense its probably inevitable (e.g.
complete multi dim array support). On the other hand we somehow think
that statically linking is a cheat around the fact that there are
additional deps. We are not sure if a vala program has a chance getting
into GNOME desktop if it has such deps.

A language can not live on glib alone :)
In some sense thats not true. One could for e.g. improove glib to make
that possible.

(I wish I had some time to help you guys out...maybe next year!)
Help is always appreciated.

cheers,
Raffaele