Re: [Vala] libxml2 vapi

On mar, 2006-08-22 at 10:05 +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
ATM we use javadoc syntax to document our code. We thought of porting
doxygen to be able to parse vala files which should not be a big problem
since its pretty similar to C# and it already suports javadoc.

That's good. I don't know much about javadoc, but apparently there is a
supported way to convert javadoc to docbook, so I'm guessing integration
wouldn't be too hard.

In any case, and regardless of the actual format used, I think that the
quality of generated documentation is more tied to the tools used than
to the format itself, since most alternatives implement basically the
same features one way or another.

The bindigs generator does only works on gobject libraries (like the
gtk-sharp one). Libs as libxml2 need to be written by hand.

OK, that's understandable. Does the generator uses the GAPI tools?

The libxml2 vapi is at a very early stage. It lets you compile and run
the reader example on the libxml page. We have planned to create a
DomXml vala lib on top of it.

Nice. I'll see what kind of hack I can come up with in the meantime.
I'll work on some sort of proof-of-concept of what I have in mind
regarding the documentation. It's hard to know how appropriate or
ridiculous an idea is without something concrete to look at :).

Thanks,
Leonardo